This is a classic canape, that is often served in top hotels. Beluga is the best variety to use, but, depending on the depth of your pocket, it can also be made with Osetra or Sevruga. For a sensational impact you could use Beluga and Almas caviar instead of smoked salmon to contrast with it.
- 6 slices thin white sandwich loaf
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 125 g (4 1/2 oz) Beluga caviar
- 225 g (8 oz) sliced smoked salmon
1. Lightly toast six or more slices of thin white bread (preferably a square loaf, if you can find one) and spread thinly with butter.
2. Take half the slices and spread them with caviar. Cover the other slices with the smoked salmon. Trim off the crusts and, using a sharp knife, cut all the slices into equal-sized squares or diamonds.
3. Place side by side, alternating the caviar and the smoked salmon, so that you end up with a chequerboard appearance. Serve immediately.
Makes about 54
Serve with NV Champagne or vodka.